- The new OSHA Crane Standard 1926.1400 subpart CC is now in effect. OSHA requires crane operators in construction to be certified by a third party such as OECP or NCCCO in addition to state licensing requirements. Local 98 offers OECP and NCCCO written exam prep courses. We are also able to administer OECP computer based testing on site.
- The Department of Transportation requires all CDL license holders to submit a self-certification form to the Registry of Motor Vehicles after every DOT physical. Failure to submit this self certification form by the expiration date of the DOT card will result in an automatic downgrade of a CDL license to a class D license. Self certification forms can be submitted at the RMV office or done online at Mass.gov
- Office of Public Safety and Inspections (OPSI) inspectors continue to patrol jobs checking for valid hoisting engineer licenses, Operators must carry on them while operating a valid hoisting engineers license, DOT medical card and drivers license. Fines can be assessed to anyone found in violation of this regulation. State law also requires any person in the seat of a piece of equipment such as mechanics and truck drivers be licensed. Any member in need of a hoisting license should contact the Training School for more information.
- Local 98 offers continuing education classes for all categories of the Massachusetts hoisting engineer license. The certificate you receive after completing the required class hours are good for up to two years after completion and a license can not be renewed without the certificates. There is an in person class during the winter months but can be done on line anytime of the year and is free to any member in good standing. Contact the training school to sign up for any continuing education class you need.Hoisting Engineers license can be renewed by mail or electronically on the OPSI website. Items required to renew include the following: Renewal form sent to you by the OPSI, copies of your continuing education certification, legible copies of drivers license and DOT card.
- OSHA 10 cards are valid for 5 years in the state of Connecticut. Local 98 can provide OSHA 10 and OSHA 30 classes to members. Any lost OSHA card older than 5 years will require taking the course again to obtain a new card. Contact the school with OSHA training needs.
- Members who possess a HAZWOPER or asbestos card are reminded they must attend annual refreshers. Failure to do so will result in having to take the 40 hour course again.
- The OSHA crane standard requires qualified operators, signal person and signal riggers. Local 98 offers crane operator prep classes as well as rigging and signaling courses that satisfy OSHA’s training requirements. Please contact the training school for more information on these requirements.
REMEMBER: OSHA NOW REQUIRES CRANE OPERATORS TO BE CERTIFIED IN ADDITION TO STATE LICENSING REQUIREMENTS. OSHA ALSO REQUIRES ANY CERTIFIED CRANE OPERATOR TO BE EVALUATED BY THE EMPLOYER PRIOR TO OPERATING A CRANE.
- OSHA forklift cards are valid for 3 years.
MAKE SURE TO KEEP ALL LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS CURRENT AND DO NOT LET THEM LAPSE. BEING VERSATILE IS WHAT ENSURES CONTINUED EMPLOYMENT WITH OUR SIGNATORY CONTRACTORS.
OPERATION OF A TELESCOPIC MATERIAL HANDLERS REQUIRES BOTH MA 1C HOISTING LICENSE AND OSHA FORKLIFT TRAINING CARD. MANY OF THESE JOBS ARE HARD TO FILL DUE TO MEMBERS NOT HAVING THE CORRECT CERTIFICATIONS.
Local 98 has a diverse fleet of heavy equipment available to our members. In addition to our fleet of cranes, earth moving and paving equipment, we have a 5 ton overhead crane and CDL training available to our members. Our 35 acre training grounds, our 3 bay shop with overhead crane, CDL training course and our 150 person classrooms ensure a diverse and accommodating learning experience.
The training staff strives to provide an up to date challenge and unique training experience. Any member with class ideas should contact Nick at Ngirolamo@local98.org. The equipment is available to improve skills to our members. Contact the training school to schedule time to practice. The more skills an Operating Engineer has the more employable they are.
- Members must call the training school to register for class at least 3 days before the start of class. Members who have not called will not be eligible for that class.
- All Classes start at 8AM
- Classes will be canceled if minimum attendance is not met
- Your name and phone number are required in case of cancellation
The training school is available to the members so you can increase your skills and marketability. We can schedule one on one training to meet your needs. Call for training or license upgrades. Your name and phone number is needed in case of cancelation.
Apprentice training will be held on almost every other Saturday. (call to confirm)
If you want to spend time at the training site for other types of training please call to reserve a spot.